Monday, August 9, 2010

UBER Deep Thought #11. Preach.

Mis got back from Lolla last night and we caught up this morning on her magical, whirlwind weekend. I got the play by play texts while she was in Chicago, but seeing the schedules of all of the artists that she got to work with and hearing all of her stories of all of the amazing people she met and amazing shows and parties she went to; made it even more clear to me that music is clearly my life and that I desperately needed to be in that world.

I was born to perform and without that part of me, I don't even know who I am. While working a "real" 9-5 job, I completely lost myself and forgot about what was important to me. I finally realized that I had to leave the stuffy business world completely to regain the knowledge of who I really was. It was almost as if I had lost my soul. I've been a, for lack of a better word, starving actress now for about three months and it has genuinely been the best three months of my life thus far.

I'm so thankful to have the support of an amazing family and phenomenal friends and without them I would sincerely be nothing. They've all, in one way or another, truly showed me what is important in life. I'm ready for total happiness and this journey has only just begun, so I can't wait to see what is in store!

I work every day to perfect my craft, to take on jobs and roles that have meaning to me and to be the absolute best version of me that I possibly can. And I owe everything that I am to music...

Music is in everything I do. To me, music is my air; without it, I can't seem to breathe. My earliest memories involve Joel Grey, The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Ann Margaret, The Mamas and The Papas, Bernadette Peters and Elvis. I was raised on music. It was always on at home, always on in the car and always involved in anything we were doing. While other kids enjoyed cartoons and action heros, my sister and I and were watching Crybaby and Gidget and Beach Blanket Bingo. Anything set to music made us thrive. My parents always took us to concerts and shows (and always took me to auditions and dance classes, voice lessons and competitions) and I'm so glad that I was immersed in that world from such a young age, because in a way, it was as if I always knew that this was my calling.

When I am in a funk, music gets me out of my head. It's a different kind of "classic" though, that takes me home. If I am having a bad day, all I have to do is put on an old movie musical (think "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" or "Bye Bye Birdie") to make the day turn around. Musicals bring me to my happy place and I'm fully okay with admitting that.

When I am smiling, music helps me stay that way and when I am getting ready for a big night out, music is what pumps me up. I've been known to say that "I love the pretty sounds" in songs. It's so silly, but the xylophone is seriously my favorite instrument. When I hear it in a song, I go nuts. Literally. I also love a song that builds... with lots of instruments!!! Ahhhh, bliss. Gimme a little Bloc Party, Fanfarlo, The Temper Trap, The Cure, The Strokes, Florence + The Machine or Mumford and Sons and I am GOOD. TO. GO.

When I am walking the streets of Manhattan, music takes me there. I set my iPhone to shuffle and let the music lead the way. I never like knowing what my first song will be; I love not knowing until the song begins and then that song sets the tone for my day. I listen heavily to the music in the background of course, but also to the lyrics. The lyrics of an amazing song like "Fix You" or "Because" are purely poetic and my imagination begins to run wild after hearing such amazing words.

I'm sharing all of this with you because I've come to the realization recently that I need not worry, if my Broadway dreams do not come true. Because, with my passion for music and also, the business of music - I have something truly great to fall back on, and it would be the furthest thing from settling...

No comments:

Post a Comment